Wednesday, October 8, 2008

I'm Back!

So I have been told by a few family members that I am a terrible blogger!! So thus commences the mother of all updates, you asked for it peeps!! I will go back about 7 weeks, Brinley had been sick and we were told also really anemic. Lots of iron and blood tests followed and there was no change in the iron levels. The doctor called me on a Tues. evening, I believe it was the 2nd of Sept., to let me know that he had done all he knew to do and that he was faxing her blood work to a Pediatric Hematologist at U. C. Davis. I was a little shocked and asked him why the concern, what are we talking about here? I already knew what he was about to say, I had done alot of research online, I just wanted him to confirm my suspcions. He let me know that they were testing and looking for Leukemia. My worst fears confirmed. I really don't remember the rest of the conversation, but I knew it would be at least a week wait until we knew for sure. How could this be happening? Rod was playing in the front room with the girls, so I let him know what the doctor had said. He was great to let me be alone in my thoughts and ponder what this would really mean for our family. That night I found that I did not want to be around anyone, especially Brin. I tend to pull away from people in stressful times and I felt that if I was going to lose her, then I didn't want to fall more in love with her. Thank goodness for routine, because the next day, Malia had school, I went to my regular class at the gym, and then we went to ballet. I had woken up with a new perspective. I wanted to be with Brinley every waking minute. I took more pictures, and found that I just let the little things go. It really helped me to focus on the more important things in life and let go of everything else. The next few days were long and full of a roller coaster of emotions. Late Fri. night I recieved a call from the Doc. He let me know that the Hematologist had ruled out Leukemia, and we were looking at a genetic form of anemia. We would meet with a Dr. Hastings from U. C. Davis to find out more about what we were dealing with. I hung up the phone and started to bawl!! I don't ever remember a time I have cried like that. I had no idea the stress I was carrying around until I let it go. It was such a relief to know that we would not have to go through the process of fighting leukemia, and as dumb as it sounds, I am so greatful for those few days when we thought that we might. It has really caused me to slow down, take each as it comes, and remember that our plan for our lives may not be our Heavenly Father's plan for our life. We met with the doctor on the 22nd of Sept. and it was such a waste of time. After talking to us and asking random questions for a couple of hours, he said that they don't really know much until they take more blood and test it. 5 vials of blood and alot of tears later, we were out of there. We meet with them again on the 16th of Oct. That weekend I flew to Vegas, rented a car, drove to St. George, and went to my 10 year high school reunion. It was pretty fun and interesting to see everyone again. I talked to alot of people more at the reunion than I ever did in high school. Weird how that works, huh?? It was great to see everyone and hopefully it won't be another 10 before I see some of you again. It was a fun, but quick trip, and it was also good to get back. It's good to be missed!! We have just been up to our normal routine lately, getting in the Halloween spirit, and planning a few Halloween parties! I have started some Christmas shopping and cannot believe that it is that time of year again. We are planning on spending the holidays in St. George and on Cedar mountain. I am so excited, I love Christmas!!!! A few photos for your veiwing pleasure. Enjoy!!
We went to a Halloween Festival last Saturday. Malia got her face painted and played a few games. I paid a dollar for a cupcake and all was well, A dollar for a cupcake!!??
This little piggy went to market......
This little piggy stayed home...... Easy way to get a good laugh, right??
The girls hanging out in Rod's patrol car
Brinley loves tomato's! We had turkey burgers a couple of nights ago for dinner, and she just wanted the cheese and tomato's. The first picture I took of her, she smiled so big that her eyes were squinted shut, so I told her to open her eyes. Here is Brinley with her eyes open!!

A little bedtime story from Brinley and Malia

9 comments:

Crazy Herb Girl said...

Scary! I had no idea...It's hard to blog about stressful stuff until it's over. Glad to hear it will be a better outcome. Keep us posted!

Boo and Sara said...

So glad you updated. I can't imagine the feeling of knowing that your child might have cancer. I am glad that it is looking much better!
It was fun seeing you at the reunion. Wish we could have chatted longer.

Britny said...

Your kids are so dang cute! Good work on the update. I guess we were both a little behind. Just let me know what two flowers you want for free for putting us on your blog and email me where to send them to. Your kids are soooo cute!!!!

Us said...

glad your back. i love reading your blog. keep us posted on brin. your pictures are great. i love the video of malia and brin reading together. malia is such a good sister.
love you
corina

*/ Jillian said...

So glad that Brin is ok for the most part! I hope she got some extra blessing from us fasting for her since no one told us that you had found out anything that week! Loved seeing you when you were here! cant wait for christmas!

Jess said...

Oh my goodness! That is very scary, I am so glad everything is okay! I would have been freaking out too!

*kRiSti* said...

Oh how scary! addi had a virus last december that they couldn't figure out what it was! they thought childhood rheumatitis, lupus, and a bunch of other things that I can't say! I know how scary it is to think your child might not be ok. thank goodness we have the gospel and know what we know. Can you imagine not believing there was a plan and a life after this one! nope i couldn't. It was good to talk to ya at the reunion, and i'm glad everythings ok!

Loni said...

I am so glad you are back, I almost left a comment the other day on your old blog complaining!! I love the pics, the girls are so cute! I cant believe how big Brin is getting! I am glad the real scare is over for her!! Can't wait to see you for the Holidays!!!

Nants (Mom, Grandma) said...

Great video, I love to hear them. They do so great together. It's funny how sometimes kids do better when they think no one is watching!
Give the girls a big hug for me.
Love you all.