Monday, December 22, 2008

The Rollover!!!






Rod -

So I got a lot of time off work and thought I could spend a long Christmas holiday with the family in St. George. So on the 12th Tiff went off with the kids and I was going to leave the next day. I was taking my truck so I could tow some things home and I was taking our old Saturn to St. George to give to some family that was in need of a car. Tiff and the girls made it fine which was good because a storm was coming.

So the next day I set out at about 7:00 in the morning. It had snowed some the night before but it wasn't bad at all at our house only a dusting really. It was really cold though and everything was frozen, so I knew I still needed to be cautious driving.

I got about a half hour away from home and was heading up a snowy hill when I suddenly lost traction and the truck kicked sideways, I attempted to compensate but the trailer with the car jackknifed and I was then just along for the ride.

I ended up going off the opposite shoulder sideways and then the roll over began. The truck rolled over twice, but luckily the hitch of the trailer wasn't strong enough to hold on so it snapped free allowing the trailer and car to stay upright.

After the truck settled, luckily on its wheels, I sat there for a second and used my brain to feel my extremities and realized I was really feeling any pain. I was then able to see that I could move everything and thought okay, that was lucky. I rubbed the dust away from my face and head and looked at my hands and didn't see any blood. Now I thought holy crap that was really lucky and blessed. My training then kicked in and I remembered I needed to shut the ignition off the cut power in case the electric components were to start any gas on fire. I then pushed a bit and the door came open and I stepped out. I stepped a bit away from the truck, looked at it, and again thought holy crap, how did I just walk away from that.'

I looked around and saw the huge mess of Christmas presents and other stuff that had been in the back of the truck but now was all over the side of the road. As I still sat looking at the mess I had created, a tow truck came rolling up. Again lucky, I didn't even have to call them.

I then called my wife to let her know what happened and that I was okay but I wouldn't be making it that day. Of course she thought I was just joking, so I had to let her know again I really wasn't. I then called 911 to report the incident and informed the dispatcher of where I was and what had happened and assured her I didn't need medical personnel. She then asked me. "You sound way to calm are you sure you're okay." I then let her know who I was and assured her I was fine.

The local sheriff's department showed up and took care of the accident report and even helped me pick up all the crap I had thrown about.

I called my older brother who lived pretty close and let him know I needed some help. Of course being one of the best people I know, not only my brother, he didn't even hesitate or waste time with questions, he just told me he would be on his way. He showed up and we loaded up all of my stuff into his truck. He let me know that even though I felt fine now, he was sure I would have all kinds of muscle soreness later that day and tomorrow. He was right. He took me to his house and let me sleep and he and his family took care of me.

It takes times like these to let you know just how much your family actually means to you. The sweetest thing was when I woke up and found two hand made get well cards from my nieces. They are the best and I love them so much.

The next day was full of phone calls with insurance and everything else. A few days later I had to go pick up the old Saturn from the tow yard and get it ready, so I could now drive it out. Luckily it worked and only needed some small tire repairs before being road worthy. So I loaded it up and finally made it to St. George. All in all quite an experience. I still can't believe I walked away with only a few scratches, bruises and some muscle soreness.

You never know how blessed you are until it smacks you in the face.

Enjoy the pictures - Have a safe and happy Christmas holiday.

Rod

5 comments:

Us said...

wow. those pics are amazing. you must have been being watched over. i'm glad you made it to st. george o.k. see you in a couple days.

Crazy Herb Girl said...

I'm so glad you are safe! Just looking at what is left of the camper shell is pretty amazing. God forbid I'm in an accident, but I hope I can remember the stuff you talked about here! Hope to see you and your fam soon, Jen

Kortney Manning said...

Wow! That is an incredible story. You must feel pretty blessed at this point to have walked away from that with no injuries. Merry Christmas, early I guess! Tiff- you are one lucky gal :)

*kRiSti* said...

Wow! I'm so glad you came out of this all right! Brett lost his sister almost 10 years ago in a roll over accident. You were definetly blessed and supposed to be here!

Loni said...

Dude! That is so crazy to see all the pics! I can't believe he came out of it with no harm! What a blessing!! It was so good to see you guys! Hope you have a HAPPY NEW YEAR!